Saturday, February 5, 2011

Just Keep Going

One of my clients ran across this little piece of inspiration and shared it with me. Now I'm sharing it with all of you...


Just Keep Going

Losing weight can be a long and difficult undertaking. During the weight loss process, many of us experience periods of great success intermeshed with periods of relatively small achievement. When things are not progressing as we'd like, discouragement and doubt can set in. The trick is to remain focused on the positive and keep moving forward.

I realize that this is much easier said than done. During my own weight loss journey, I found that when challenging times arose, it helped to look at the bigger picture--the bigger picture being the rest of my life and how I wanted to live it. I would find myself reflecting back on what I had accomplished so far and really celebrating the small achievements. But probably the most helpful thing for me was developing a 'just keep going' mentality. I would often repeat that phrase to myself, particularly during times when I was feeling discouraged. It can be easy to throw everything we have achieved out the window because of one specific incident. But that kind of thinking is only detrimental, and it doesn't make any sense. It certainly doesn't help us in completing our goals.

The beginning of a new year is often the time when many of us set weight loss or healthy eating goals for ourselves. We may find that we are motivated for a time, but then that motivation wanes and it becomes easy to slip back into old patterns and abandon our goals. If or when this happens, I would encourage you to focus on the positive things you have accomplished and look at the bigger picture--the rest of your life. Don't give up. Just keep going. Because you are definitely worth it!

Rachel Cope MPH, RD, CD

No comments:

Post a Comment